Jan 4, 2008

Mr. Oizo at Hiro 1/3/08



Pretty much just got back from seeing Mr. Oizo at Hiro. For once there was absolutely no line to get in...maybe they realized it was freezing out. They made up for it though but NOT having open bar from 11-12 - whack!

Anyway...
as I walk in the Chems' "Do It Again" is playing so I was instantly in a good mood. I get all settled, lose the coat, etc., go to order a drink, and who is standing right next to me but Busy Paul. Like a half an hour later Mike gets there. Finally at 1, Mr. Oizo goes on.

The dj before him set him up with an Uffie track, I think it was Ready to Uff...
For the next hour Mr. Oizo proceeded to play a bunch of good ones from the Ed Banger catalog including:

Mr. Oizo - Transexual
Justice - Let There Be Light
Mr. Oizo - Patrick 122
and a bunch more I can't remember.

It wasn't the typical Ed Banger-overloaded set entirely too common on dance floors lately though. He was tweaking all the songs a bit, and then in between them he was seriously just playing whatever the hell he wanted, like random old club tracks that I didn't even know...and Pump Up the Jam (at which point I turned around to see Mike getting down like there was no tomorrow) and Lose Control by Missy Elliott. It was a free for all.

I really loved it though. It was pretty much non-stop awesome-ness for the first hour. Some more stuff he played:

Boys Noize - Lava Lava or Arcade Robot? Can't recall.
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Daft Punk - Face to Face
Chemical Brothers - Saturate (I lost it!)
Mr. Oizo - Flat Beat (lost it again!)

But then...the last half hour came...and it just got whack...the dude dropped some super slow jams. And I honestly thought he was kidding, and intentionally trying to clear the floor so that then he could drop something really great and hard...but then he didn't...and the next thing I knew Alex English was on the decks at 2:30!

Save for the devastatingly anti-climactic and slow ending, it was a dope set. The only way I could have been happier is if Mr. Oizo hadn't busted out Transexual and Patrick 122 so relatively early in his set, and if he had played some stuff from the Steak soundtrack.

Alex's set was pretty good after his...I know he played Apache and the D.I.M. remix of the Presets' My People. Can't complain. We saw some firemen lurking around, so we hit the coat check before the crowd got the hint.

Busy Paul wins the best facial hair remix award for his fu-man. Mr. Oizo gets best beard (duh!). George gets MVP for driving me "home" aka my boss' place where I am dogsitting and dropping a Mr. Flash cd on me.

Good times.

There's a ton of stuff happening here tomorrow. I would like to do it all, but that never works. Expect a post tomorrow with some options.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP