Dec 28, 2007

Guns N' Bombs at Hiro, 12/27/07

GNB-ed it last night with Paul and Mike, had an amazing time. So much fun.

From the beginning I had mixed feelings about even going to see Guns N' Bombs to be honest...I had heard one of their earlier mix tapes and liked it, saw Johnny dj solo back in August and wasn't feeling it, and haven't really been able to get into their most recent mix tape. But...I had been at my parents' place in the suburbs since Friday and needed a break.

I am so glad I decided to go. Walked in right around 12, maybe 5 peeps in line, the dance floor is EMPTY. Very weird. I'm guessing a lot of people are out of town for the holidays. Busy Paul finds me almost immediately, I find Mike while Paul is gone for a little bit. He comes back, introductions are made...it's like a ridiculous electro-loving triangle.

I dunno who the opening dj was (I just found out it was Alex English and Peter Makebish who I've seen a bunch, but this set seemed especially awesome for some reason) but he was reading our minds. It was really weird. We start talking about the D.I.M. remix of the Presets' My People and 10 minutes later he plays it. He also played the Chems Block Rockin' Beats which Paul had to point out to me because I was talking and not hearing it at all. The dj also dropped some other older stuff from around that time - The Prodigy (I think they played Smack My Bitch Up, but I'm not 100% sure I am remembering correctly), Green Velvet's La La Land. Then Paul and I are talking about how neither of us are really that into the Presets, but how their stuff remixes really well (kind of like the Klaxons)...and 20 minutes later the dj drops the Soulwax remix of Klaxons' Gravity's Rainbow. ESP!

Finally...a little after 1, Guns N Bombs go on, we all move to the floor and it's non-stop get-down bangers the whole time. The combination of drinking and relentless dancing have made me able to remember only one of the songs they played - I am assuming it was their remix of Muscles' 1 Inch Badge Pin. Hah. In any case...despite my horrible memory...I assure you it was a great dj set. And I don't wanna play favorites...but the sets banging high points seemed to happen more when Filip was behind the decks.

For those of you not up on the Guns N Bombs' game, check out more about em here.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP