Dec 7, 2007

Degenerates - Moby, Jacques Renault, Justin Miller, and Princess Superstar at Hiro 11/15/07, options for tonight

So I'm 3 for 3 with the Degenerates parties.

While the 2nd one seemed relatively less packed than the first, last night seemed to be pretty close to the mayhem and packed-ness of the first. To start there was a line to the corner when I got there, pretty much double the length of the line when I arrived for the previous party, and when I got in (probably at midnight or so) it was actually pretty full in there, not the usual Hiro BS.

The line for coat check was crazy long again, but moved pretty quickly. By the time I hit the floor Jacques and Justin were killing it. I'm not sure if they were dj-ing together the whole time or taking turns or what, but I definitely realized the modern disco overtones of a Jacques Renault dj set at certain points. It was excellent.

I think about 1, maybe a bit earlier, Princess Superstar went on. I actually somehow forgot that I saw her dj once before at the annex. Anyway, last night she was awesome - she played a lot of real bangers, plus some of her own stuff which she sang over. She also sang parts of Kelis' Milkshake over Justice's Waters of Nazareth which kind of made everyone go, whaaaat?!?! but it was great. My only complaint...her set was way too short, maybe only like 40 minutes.

Moby started at about a quarter to 2 and was still banging away when I left around 3:30. He's definitely a good dj and was bustin out some good old school stuff, but, having been to the past 2 Degenerates parties...his sets are starting to get a little repetitive. It's hard to complain because it's just a few songs that he ends up repeating, and they happen to be really good ones (Born Slippy, Where's Your Head At, a couple of songs that I don't know the name of, but have figured out by the crowd that they are some Moby hits), but ya know...mix it up!

Tonight Moby's band?! the Little Death NYC is playing the First Fridays party at the Guggenheim.

Also, you know about the Daft Punk Alive Release party at Studio B.

Also a little bird told me about this, but I didn't really know what was up with them:



But then I got an email about it:

" This week we welcome the " FAN KLUB DJS " all the way from Belgium! Fan Klub consists of two party DJs that spin a great mix of electro, bass and party jams.. def will be a night to remember! Check out their Myspace for tour dates! Also.. I will be spinning a special 2 hour set of all the new tunes I picked up while in Europe.. and if any of you know that means plenty of high energy bass music...a new sound being pushed by the likes of Herve, Drop The Lime, Switch, Brabe, L-Vis 1990, Crookers, Bryan Cox, Boy 8-Bit, Nifty etc! Also joining the ranks will be up and coming NYC DJ 24Court fresh off playing Paris's Fashion Week! "

which is making me kind of regret buying a ticket for the Alive party. Oh well, c'est la vie.

And also this which I semi-forgot about because so much is going on:



RSVP

Don't really know much about anyone on the bill except for AC Slater who's been putting out some pretty good shit. Check his remix of an already great track that I didn't think I could love any more than I already do: Boys Noize - Shine Shine (AC Slater remix)

A ton of stuff going down Saturday too which I will post about later. CMJ flashbacks anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous,  4:38 PM  

Damn girl. Don't hurt em.
(Great post)
There's this thing too... Glamour @ Rebel = Semi Precious Weapons, cheap 2 hour open bar... and June D (FUN at Studio B host) is DJ'ing there too, since tonight's Daft thing isn't her's. And on another floor you can check out legendary hip hop dj producer Marley Marl.

But look at all the other great choices...

Anonymous,  12:20 PM  

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP