May 1, 2007

Mr. Black

I have been to Mr. Black once. It was one of those crazy NYC summer nights where nothing goes right. I had made a last minute decision to see Radio 4 in Red Hook. I had been living in Long Island City for only about a month at that point...so I had no idea that on the weekend...the G-train...is WHACK!

About an hour after leaving my apartment and being told by the MTA that I should take a Manhattan bound F-train one stop into Manhattan, then transfer to another train going back to Brooklyn I gave up. I got out at West 4th, called my roommate. We agreed to meet in the east village in an hour or so. I went to a bar, killed some time. I get a call saying he's at Mr. Black.

I get there...and there is a line. I haven't waited in line for something that wasn't a show or a dj in...I don't know when. $10 cover. I was having a bad night. I finally get in...and the phrase that instantly came to mind was "gay sweat-box from hell". It was a small basement space with wall to wall gay guys, a large percentage shirtless. Not ideal conditions for me personally.

I found my friends, expressed my discontent which was met with, "I know it's hellish, but once you embrace the hellishness it's kind of fun". At first I thought he was crazy, but it was true. I paid $10 so I wasn't going anywhere. I had a few beers. We found a spot near a fan, and got down to some Top 40's/pop radio-style remixes. It wound up being a fun night. I imagine it would be a fun place to see any actual dj you know and like spin. I mean, come on, it is a "dance den"?

Back to seeing someone you like spin there:



Here's what you need to know about this flyer:

Van Scott. I met this darling almost 5 years ago - he was my ex-boyfriend's suitemate at school. He is one of the nicest people I know...and he knows his shit, and now he dj's.

Also, May 28th...the Cut Crew. If you haven't experienced any of the Cut dj's, you don't know what you're missing. I can't speak for Star Eyes (haven't seen her yet), but Drop the Lime is probably my favorite New York dj, and the Captain is dope as well.

1 comments:

The Captain 10:16 PM  

Hey! Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for posting up and listing some of our events! Much appreciated!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP