May 3, 2007

Let me sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning

Just got home (after an annoyingly longer than usual subway ride...it felt like I was pacing on the 6 platform forever!) from Korrupt at Hiro. I just stayed for DJ Mehdi and A-trak's joint DJ set. It was awesome. They had the hip-hoppers moving to electro, the dance kids hip-hoppin. Excellent. What DJ-ing is all about if you ask me.

However...when I first got there (about 11:30 or so) as other Ed Banger's have reported no one was moving. Maybe like 5 people on the floor. The benches and tables Hiro sets up on the dance floor, that I haven't seen out there in ages...were fully intact and being used...people were sitting at them...and drinking...and talking...it was unnerving. I love a night of good dancing more than almost anything else...but when I realized Medhi was starting and that virtually nobody was moving...I was pissed at myself for not having more ambition to get on the dance floor. I'm still shy to a point. Old habits die hard.

Anyway...2 cocktails, and 2 dance tunes later (I want to say Human After All, but don't hold me to that and SMD's It's the Beat) I was out there gettin' down and I didn't stop until Medhi and A-trak were off the decks (around 1:30).

The entire evening consisted of a genre mash-up. Medhi dropped tracks from literally every current French act (Daft Punk, Justice - alot of Justice - Let There Be Light, Phantom, Waters of Nazareth, the We Are Your Friends remix; Sebastian - Ross Ross Ross; his ownself - I am Somebody), plus SMD, plus "Whoo! Alright, Yeah, Uh-huh" by the Rapture and either he or A-trak mixed em up with some old, poppy hip-hop-ish stuff, i.e. Bucketheadz "The Bomb", Crystal Waters' "Gypsy Woman", Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band "Apache"...the list goes on.

Some observations...the crowd was mainly into hip-hop. You could tell. Some hip-hop track I didn't recognize would drop and all of a sudden everyone would be going bananas...on the same token...I think I was the only one...I am serious (at least the only one in my vicinity) yelling along to "We Are Your Friends"...and "Whoo! Alright, Yeah, Uh-huh"...and umm every dance track with a chorus.

Ok...here is where you really start kicking yourself for not going. Mehdi dropped, in it's pure unadulterated entirety:

1. the new Kanye track that HEAVILY samples Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"

2. the new Justice...no, not D.A.N.C.E. (as dope as that would have been), but an ever NEWER track, Genesis!

The extra kick in the ass...they are both stored in my cellllllll phone! and I can't get them out to share with you. I didn't even realize my phone had recording capabilities (and I use that term loosely, the quality is pretty horrible...it's the function on the phone to leave yourself reminders to pick up your dry cleaning and stuff like that, plus there are various people chatting...and me yelling like a maniac) until halfway through the Kanye track. It's hard to even hear him so it sounds mainly like a really shittily recorded version of "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" with some faint Kanye over it. However...despite my bitterness toward Kanye due to his sorely losing Best Video to Justice/So Me...the track is pretty dope. But...it mainly sounds like a mash-up of any other already existing Kanye song with Daft Punk.

Point number 2, Genesis was dope! Lives up to all Justice's prior stuff.

I am going to make a more serious effort tomorrow to try to get this stuff off of my phone and onto the computer. It's not looking promising though...the only options it gives me are to erase or rename... :(

Also, I would be remiss if I did not say what a gent DJ Mehdi is. Got the name of the new Justice track from him and he was quite gracious when I thanked him for dropping such a dope set.

2 comments:

felicia 11:05 PM  

i just read this and HAD to leave a comment -

me and my friends were probably the 3 out of the 5 ppl dancing to mehdi!

i would have been singing along with you to all those dance tracks but i think i was stuck in the restrooms at that time with a friend hunched over the toilet...

but totally know what you mean bout the crowd...pfft - i was stoked for flosstradamus and pase rock too but a bit disappointed cause i think they took the hint of keeping it too much towards the hip hop tip more than anything else cause of the crowd...but have downloaded much better sets online from both..

anyways, better nights to come soon! the month of may alone is looking ridiculous, im sure we'll be at the same spots.

showtrotta 11:54 PM  

Thx for leaving a comment. I was really amazed by Mehdi and A-trak's set. I still wasn't really sure what to expect from Mehdi since the last time I saw him was at the Ed Banger night last month at Hiro...when god only knows who was on the decks at any given moment.

At the end of the night I was so glad I had put aside my doubts and decided to go. Sucks that you missed a lot of it b/c of your friend...it always seems like things like that happen at the worst times. Like you said though...there will a lot more good stuff coming our way I'm sure. Gotta love nyc for that reason alone.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP