Sep 19, 2008

DJ Mehdi and Busy P at Santos Party House 9/18/08

Just got home from an amazing 4+ hours at Santos.

DJ Mehdi went on around 12. He spun a good hour of current, brand new, and just a few months old, electro which included tracks from Crookers, the Bloody Beetroots, and Surkin among others. He also dropped what had to be some old school disco track which had Paul and I absolutely losing our shit...unfortunately I can't remember any specifics at this point. For his solo set Mehdi was the good spirited dj that I love...bouncing from side to side, smiling, and singing along. This part of the review would have been much more specific and probably more favorable had I not ended up in a super crowded part of Santos, where everyone seemed to be passing through.

At 1:30 Paul went home like a responsible adult and I grabbed another drink and worked my way toward the front of the floor from which I witnessed most of Busy P's set, as well as the hour+ that he and DJ Mehdi switched on and off. Somehow they managed to put together a set that was as excellent as I imagined it would be, yet totally unexpected. Here are just a few selections (there are gaps between some of these tracks, while some were actually played one after the other) from the mix they spun of dance classics, brand new tracks, and everything in between (a few of the tracks in the beginning of the list might be from Busy P's solo set - it was a bit of a blur):

Justice - Stress
Daft Punk - Oh Yeah
The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy, Hey Girl (Soulwax remix)
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Armand Van Helden - Necessary Evil
Alan Braxe & Fred Falke - Intro
MGMT - Kids (Soulwax remix)
The Chemical Brothers - Do It Again
Justice - DVNO
Daft Punk - High Life
Rye Rye - Shake It To the Ground
Klaxons - As Above, So Below
Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place
Trevor Loveys & Sinden - Organ Grinder
Franki Valli & The Four Seasons - Beggin' (Pilooski edit)
Pixies - Where Is My Mind?


So awesome and so much fun.

Some pictures:

From DJ Mehdi & Busy P at Santos Party House


Here's one by one of my readers, Jose:


Check out a bunch more he took here.

13 comments:

neeru 3:01 PM  

hey man,
i must've been standing right next to you
awesome show
and nice blog

showtrotta 3:08 PM  

It's likely. I was right in the front for most of Busy P's set on. It was a great show. And thanks :)

Neil 5:30 PM  

also, i've been trying to remember a track that mehdi played like three times. had female diva-like vocals...i just can't remember the lyrics at all. any idea?

showtrotta 5:33 PM  

Hmm...not sure. Was it kind of disco-ish? and played during his solo set? Because if it is that's one I'm looking for too...

Neil 5:42 PM  

yea, it reminded me of some nineties house with those vocals and a great melody
pretty sure he played it during his solo set. he played it multiple times for sure.

Neil 5:43 PM  

a lot of people were singing along...

showtrotta 11:46 AM  

Hey Neil...

I think you and I are looking for different tracks, but I think the one you are looking for is by Robin S, called "Show Me Love". Couldn't find it on hype machine, but here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcAXJkKYBtA

Anonymous,  4:30 PM  

Does anyone know who those three guys were who came onstage around like 2AM. They had the lego belts on? And the guy with the long hair and the sunglass's?

showtrotta 1:59 AM  

I think it was these guys:

http://www1.fredflare.com/blog/?p=2367

Anonymous,  2:59 AM  

yeah! that was them! one of them were getting majorly wasted on stage!

showtrotta 3:03 AM  

Hah! Do you mean the one stumbling around, drinking straight from the bottle of vodka toward the end?

Jose 12:23 PM  

I think the song Neil is referring to, is show me love, Steve Angelo Version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFwhVjaL5kI&feature=related

There is also an Axwell, Angelo version that was son big at this year WMC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXVlP8Fy-w

More songs played in MEhdi or Busy P set:
radioclit - secousse (crookers spino remix) First Busy P song. He started exactly in the same way as Crookers in Webster Hall.
Don Rimini - Let Me Back Up (Crookers Tetsujin Remix)
Les Petits Pilous - Wake Up
Justice - Stress ( Auto Remix )
PUZIQUe - Don't Go

BTW feel free to add some photos I took during the show, yours look so blurry:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmoranmoya/sets/72157607374940802/

showtrotta 1:04 PM  

Thanks Jose. I knew Mehdi didn't play the original version of Show Me Love but I didn't think I'd be able to tell which remix it was from memory.

Also thanks for the other tracks you included from the dj sets. I really wasn't making an effort to remember many for the first hour or so, just trying to dance and survive the massively crowded area where I was. Most of the tracks I did include were from about halfway through the night (a little before 2) once I moved up toward the front and finally got some space to enjoy things.

Nice pics! (I'm going to post one w/ a link to the set) Mine are really blurry because I haven't had a minute to take the time to find a good digital camera. The ones I posted are from a camera phone :P

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP