Apr 20, 2008

Kavinsky at Studio B 4/19/08

(Most of this was written a little after 4am, but I didn't get all the media uploaded until now)

Just got home from seeing Kavinsky at Studio B. He was awesome.

I arrived at 12ish, the place was pretty empty, but quickly filled up over the course of an hour. It was the ideal level of Studio B fullness where the place didn't turn into the sweatbox from hell it has been lately, but there were still plenty of people there getting down. After Jen Lasher did a wonderful job warming up the crowd for 2 hours, Kavsinky went on at 2am.

I don't remember what he started with, but a few songs in he played the Mr. Oizo remix of "Merrymaking at My Place" by Calvin Harris, then D.I.M.'s remix of "My People" by The Presets. Then he played some stuff that wasn't all that recent, but what he chose, how/when he dropped the tracks, and what he did with them made it fun anyway. In the midst of it he also dropped some of his own stuff, a Santogold track, and a B-more-ish track I don't know the name of.

Then at some point there was a shift, where there was literally one awesome track after another all the way through until the end of his set. It was like every track was one you weren't expecting, but then once Kavinsky dropped them they made perfect sense.

I was able to identify almost all of the tracks, and I geeked out and saved a list of them on my phone. I was going to make a Muxtape of all of them, but then I realized you can only upload 12 songs...whack. I found this other site called Mixwit that is a bit different, and I was able to put all the songs on there except for a few that weren't available. You can stream the tape below. There's also a separate tracklisting with the tracks I wasn't able to find/identify in bold. Try to imagine it being well-mixed and banging as you listen to it and that will be vaguely like being at the B last night.




Tracklisting:

Daft Punk - Face to Face
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You
Jamelia - Something About You (Mr. Oizo remix)
Fancy - What's Your Name Again (Busy P remix)
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of (SebastiAn remix)
Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
SebastiAn - Momy
Boys Noize - Deny Selected
SebastiAn - Motor

ZZT - Lower State of Consciousness
Justice - DVNO (Justice remix)
?
The Who - Baba O'Reilly
Chromeo - Tenderoni
Missy Elliott - Ching-A-Ling
?
Phil Collins - Sussudio
Paul Engemann- Scarface (Push It to the Limit)
Justice - Let There Be Light (DJ Funk remix)
Justice - Let There Be Light (demo version)
Chromeo - Bonafied Lovin
Daft Punk - One More Time
+ a few more tracks I couldn't i.d.


Sidenotes about Kavinsky:

He totally was Frannnnccchhhing it up - smoking and taking swigs out of a bottle of vodka the whole time. He was also having a good time, dancing a bit, bobbing his head, at one point he did the robot.

He played until maybe 4:05, then the bouncer got kinda nasty because he didn't stop right away. Then everyone that was left (the most people I have seen at the B at 4am in a while) kinda went nuts. A bunch of people started yelling stuff to him in French, he yelled back. Serious fun.

A few pics:

Kavinsky at Studio B


A few short video clips merged together that I shot w/ my cellphone:

<div><a href='http://www.omnisio.com'>Share and annotate your videos</a> with Omnisio!</div>


Overall it was a great night - one of the best deejay sets I've experienced so far this year. I'm exhausted, my feet are aching, but I am so happy. Kavinsky really tore it up. I also think his set showed what a good deejay he is as many of the songs weren't particularly recent, but he made them work together amazingly well. More nights need to be like that.

6 comments:

Paul 6:43 PM  

unbelievable post. laaaa frannnnnnsshhhh does it again!

Anonymous,  10:50 PM  

Dude, just a heads up - there's another site that lets you do mixtapes online - imeem.com . It's been around for a couple of years, and is essentially youtube for music, you can upload tunes, share them and of course create mixes.
no 12 track limit, I'm not even sure what the limit might be.
Anyway, they're the most popular web2.0 music site and they've managed to figure out all the legal problems so you really should check them out.

showtrotta 11:11 PM  

Thank you! I have heard of imeem, but haven't gotten around to checking it out. Didn't realize it did all that.

showtrotta 9:44 AM  

re: Paul's comment - update the scoreboard, +1 for France.

Anonymous,  8:10 PM  

1 sebastiAn songs can be found here:

http://jai-la-cassette-a-la-maison.blogspot.com/2008/04/les-cours-de-catchisme.html

showtrotta 9:15 PM  

Thanks anon. I downloaded Momie from somewhere a while ago and have been loving it ever since. The two sources that mix site uses didn't have it though, that's why it was left out. Thanks for the heads up though!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP