Apr 4, 2008

Degenerates - Tommy Sunshine, Moby, and DJ Mehdi at Hiro 4/3/08

Last night's Degenerates party was great. Headed in with Paul around 11:30. Tommy Sunshine was already on deck dropping a banging remix of SMD's 'Hustler'. He played a lot of stuff I didn't know (like last time), but his set was solid and highly danceable. Busy Paul and I discussed how though his set was great, you could tell he was holding back...like he really could've opened it up, gone all out, and made everyone lose their shit, but he didn't. He kept it fun, but not crazy and got everyone all warmed up for Moby's set. Big ups to Tommie for showing some restraint. If I was as talented as he is and had so much music at my disposal I don't know if I would be able to do that.

Around 12:30 Moby went on. He killed as he has been at all the other parties...a great mix of old school stuff with enough new to keep it interesting. He played 'Hey Boy, Hey Girl' by the Chemical Brothers and I absolutely freaked out. He also played one of his new tracks - 'Disco Lies'. It's a good song, but it seemed a little out of place. Just a tad too disco-ey to throw in with what he was playing. I really like the song though. Also, the video is really funny/awesome/will make you feel really bad about eating chicken:



My only "gripes" w/ his deejay set...he played Bassment Jaxx 'Where's your head at' which I think he's played at every Degenerates party so far, and also one of his songs, I think it's 'We Are All Made of Stars', but I'm not sure. And really, these aren't really gripes...the crowd has a good reaction to both of them, they're a lot of fun to dance to, and unless you've been to most of the other parties you wouldn't know, so whatever. Anyway...

He killed it until about 1:45? Then DJ Mehdi went on. I can't remember what he opened with. Then he dropped that track that repeats "My baby is not at home" (that I don't know the name of). He also dropped in no particular order:

the songs that goes "this...is going...to make you freak", which I think is called "Freak" and is by LFO, but not sure.
the Chemical Brothers - Do It Again
Klaxons - Magick (Simian Mobile Disco remix)
Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler (original version)
Justice - DVNO (Justice Remix)(great to hear out for a change instead of the Phantoms, which btw were also dropped by DJ Mehdi and Tommie Sunshine. BP and I were discussing how they've kind of had their run...I love the Justice album, but I am really tired of hearing only those 2 songs and D.A.N.C.E. when I'm out. Especially from deejays on Ed Banger...I love their sets regardless, but don't they have access to any of the new music coming out?)

DJ Mehdi's set was serious fun, and he's so happy to be deejaying - always dancing around and smiling. Easily becoming one of my fave deejays. Obligatory cellphone pic:



Overall it was a solid party and a great night of dancing. Hiro was packed for a good part of the evening and everyone was dancing. As expected, after Moby finished his set a lot of people headed out, but the floor was still pretty packed with the masses getting down until the end of DJ Mehdi's set at 3:30.

10 comments:

Anonymous,  10:17 AM  

Yeah, you're right, and I actually don't play 'Phantom' anymore usually. But there I was seeing a good portion of the crowd leaving after Moby's set and I felt like crowd-pleasing a little bit at the beginning to keep a somewhat packed dancefloor, before digging deeper. For info, the DVNO version I played was the Justice new remix.
And thanks for the feedback-and the good words,
M.

Anonymous,  6:35 PM  

was that actually DJ Mehdi?

showtrotta 6:37 PM  

I think so...

Anonymous,  4:38 PM  

I'm seing DJ Mehdi in oslo the 16th of May, can't wait. And if you're still reading - I've never heard either of the phantoms live, so don't mind dropping them! :p

Anonymous,  6:19 PM  

do you know yet what the name of the song that went "my baby is not at home" i've been looking everywhere!

showtrotta 7:48 PM  

Wow...I remember exactly how that song sounds...and still don't know what it is...and can't find it either! Sorry dude!

Anonymous,  2:39 PM  

Guys please tell it here if u the name of that "my baby is not at home"-Song!! awesome, heard it some month ago ...cant remember where but its fuckin nice

showtrotta 10:31 AM  

I still don't know what that song is! Lol.

Anonymous,  9:17 PM  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCn5RF_X18

Dr Love... Crookers remix

showtrotta 2:36 PM  

Thank you anon who finally ID'd the previously unidentifiable track back in November (2012)...after I initially posted about it back in April of 2008!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP