Jul 7, 2007

A Touch of Class

Despite being in a funky mood I made myself go to PS1 today. I am so glad I went.

I got there around 6. Services started right after I got there...they were kind of...how shall I put this...loud. Kind of in the way the really thick, syrupy parts of Justice songs are loud, but with no let up and therefore...bad.

At 7 A Touch of Class Started. They treated the crowd to 2 hours of amazing music that had everyone getting down.
Things started off on the old school disco/funk side which was a pleasant change from the usual. Then about 45 minutes in they started moving forward...I noticed the shift around Fatboy Slim's "A Song for Shelter", Crystal Waters' "Gypsy Woman", and a bunch of other stuff I can't name. In any case, it was all serious fun and everyone was getting down. Then...as pleased and amazed as I was with the ground they had covered thus far, ATOC finally got to the current. They almost killed me. Tracklist:

Shake N' Pop - Green Velvet
Put Your Hands Up For Detroit - Fedde Le Grand (the point at which I lost my shit)
Flat Beat - Mr. Oizo (really lost my shit)
Gravity's Rainbow (Soulwax remix) - Klaxons (point at which I realized I should stop paying attention to when I was losing my shit since it was happening so often)
Apache - Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band
D.A.N.C.E. - Justice
It's the Beat - Simian Mobile Disco
Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
Push It - Salt-N-Pepa
Song 2 - Blur vs. Don't Call Me Baby - Madison Avenue (everyone started moshing)
Rock the Casbah - the Clash
somewhere between these two there must have been some other stuff because I remember them playing London Calling also
Roxanne - the Police (everyone started moshing again...to the Police)

It was one of the most upbeat, feel good, no rules dj sets I have been to. Everyone was having a great time. Not dancing was not an option or a thought. Having not seen them play out, probably since I first saw them last year at PS1, and only listening to their remixes in the meantime, I forgot what a range of material they cover in their sets and just how brilliantly they do it. It was an excellent day of dancing, only about to be made better by Simian Mobile Disco at Studio B! Ah! I can't wait. It's going to be one of those days :)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP