Jul 6, 2007

Hip Pop

Ahh...I just got back from Chromeo a little while ago. They were awesome. Alot of shit went down, so I will make a list:

1. I admit it...I totally took advantage of the fact that, as much as I hate to admit it, I am actually a girl. The line for Chromeo was around the block...it's goddamn Hiro for crying out loud! It's absurd. There was a big group of people in front of me that figured out you needed a high girl to guy ratio and started recruiting girls for that purpose and I somehow got in on that. I know...it's whack. I have never done it before.

2. Flosstradamus was the opening and closing dj's. They were good when I first got in, but I was busy figuring out logistics...aka a good spot...booze...the bathroom...so I wasn't really giving them my full attention. They definitely had my ear from the start though. After Chromeo went on they tore it up. It was crazy. The only way to describe it is "Farley Flashback" or "Hop Pop". I went to Catholic school when I was a youngin'...but we went to these dances at the public middle school (James A. Farley). Flosstradamus proceeded to play damn near every jam from that period of my life...it was a lot of hip-hop that was really popular, hence the hip-pop. They also mixed in a lot of new and older dance stuff. In no particular order:

Whoop There It Is - Tag Team
Jump Around - House of Pain
Tootsie Roll - 69 Boyz
Hypnotize - Biggie
D.A.N.C.E. - Justice
Apache - Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band
La La Land - Green Velvet
Shake N' Pop - Green Velvet
One More Time - Daft Punk
Beeper - Sinden
Big Pimpin - Jay-Z
Sweet Dreams - the Eurythmics
Push It - Salt-N-Pepa
Licky - Princess Superstar
So Whatcha Want - Beastie Boys
Loser - Beck
Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation



3. It was Nicky Digital's birthday. "Party photography" has gotten ridiculous at this point. Everyone and their mother has a camera with a huge-ass flash nowadays...Nicky was one of the first kickin it here in New York, and he's actually a nice guy. Happy Birthday Nicky!


4. Chromeo - Up until this evening I had only heard a handful of Chromeo's stuff. I really wasn't looking forward to this show that much until this afternoon. I took a nap for an hour...and really just wanted to keep sleeping, but I made myself go because of this post at Music for Robots. "Like a god damn Canadian octopus of sex and funk and maple syrup." That about sums it all up. Guitar, bass, cymbals, cowbells, keyboards (sadly without legs)...just 2 guys - another great danceable live band.



The crowd was the craziest I have ever seen at Hiro. Crazier than Ed Banger night. Totally packed...you could barely move, but people were. Everyone was dancing furiously. In terms of songs, you name it, they played it...Tenderoni, Fancy Footwork, Bonafied Lovin, and a bunch of others I don't know yet. They did Momma's Boy as part of the encore and a couple of others. I had anticipated not really being that into them, but Chromeo honestly blew me away, way better than expected. I didn't expect to want to go to their show tomorrow (at Studio B), but before they were even done I was thinking about going. We'll see if that actually happens. I have a ton of work to do tomorrow and am exhausted at the moment. I have to at least make it to Fujiya and Miyagi...

5. Before I realized Flosstradamus was dj-ing again, I picked up a shirt and started chatting with the guy who was selling them. It turns out, it was Scooter, their tour manager. I learned...that unlike Chromeo, he is not from Montreal. He became the tour manager through working with the Rub dj's and Flosstradamus (Flosstradamus is along for the rest of the Fancy Footwork tour). He got to know Chromeo because Dave from Chromeo is actually dj A-trak's brother! I was so shocked by this.

Overall...it was a seriously fun night. I am really glad I (literally) didn't sleep on this show. Chromeo blew the place up, and Flosstradamus kept that energy going and the crowd dancing all night.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP