Apr 11, 2009

Findlay Brown in New York!

While this blog and what I've been listening to has become increasingly dominated by mainly electronic/dance music, every now and then something great grabs my attention and makes me remember that I used to (and still do) enjoy music removed from those genres. One who recently had that effect on me is Findlay Brown.

I don't remember how I even came across him or his music, but I found myself at Pianos on a Thursday night in February being completely wowed by Findlay & his band's somehow soulful, bluesy, and folksy performance. They channeled greats I didn't even realize I liked so much (Elvis & Roy Orbison) along with some I love (the Beatles), and did so in such a way that I was astounded rather than irritated by it.

Findlay is back in New York this week playing 2 shows - one at Mercury Lounge on Tuesday April 14th (tickets available at the door), and the other on Thursday April 16th at Union Hall (tickets available here). I highly recommend you check him out, but if you need some convincing:

A video of some footage from his time in the US in February (which includes clips from the show at Pianos) is below:




You can download Pilooski's edit of "Promised Land" over at RCRDLBL. You can also download some more tracks including "Promised Land" (Dimitri From Paris remix), "Holding Back the Night", and "I Had A Dream" (Solo Acoustic Version) from my original post about Findlay over at Brooklynvegan.


Findlay also recently compiled a mixtape of

...some of the stuff I was listening to while writing songs for 'Love Will Find You' my forth coming LP (out in June)...I started listening to a lot of stuff which I knew so well but almost took for granted - songs you never paid serious attention to because they are so well known. Songs like My Girl, Be My Baby, Stand By Me. I start listening to them in a different way, and working out what was so great about them. I’m not saying the songs I’ve written as a result can stand up next to them, but I’m not ashamed to try and aspire to those standards.


You can download the mixtape here.

Findlay Brown Mixtape Tracklisting
I Only Have Eyes for You - The Flamingos
Comin' Home Baby - Mel Torme
Stamping Ground - Moondog
Be My Baby - The Ronettes
Sleepwalk - Santo & Johnny
Borne On The Wind - Roy Orbison
Fool for You - The Impressions
I'm Your Witch Doctor - John Mayall's Blues Breakers
Born To Be With You - Dion
Baby It's You - The Shirelles
Please Stay - The Cryin' Shames
The Night - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack
Johnny Remember Me - John Leyton
Wishing for Your Love - The Voxpoppers
Deborah's Theme - Ennio Morricone
Mystery Train - Elvis Presley
Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
Be Not So Fearful - Bill Fay
Just for You - Sam Cooke
Born Free - Matt Monro
Who Has the Last Laugh Now - Bloodstone
Ballade De Melody Nelson - Serge Gainsbourg
Haunted Feelings - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP