May 14, 2008

Fatboy Slim is Fucking in Heaven


via NME:

"Fatboy Slim, aka DJ Norman Cook, has decided to retire his famous moniker.

The DJ was cagey about explaining why he had made the decision, or what his new stage name will be. However, NME.COM has learned that he is working on a new album under the name Brighton Port Authority.

Cook told The Sun: "Yes, I am ditching the Fatboy Slim name, but I can’t tell you the new one. I’m going to take the Fifth Amendment on that question and not say because I'll get myself into trouble.”

Despite refusing to confirm his new title the DJ did, however, joke that he was changing his name to "Madonna"."

I just looked into Brighton Port Authority. There's a track in the player called "Toe Jam" that features David Byrne which isn't that surprising since they've worked on a musical together about Imelda Marcos called "Here Lies Love". The thing that shocked me was the song also features Dizzee Rascal. David Byrne and Dizzee Rascal. David Byrne makes me frequently stare at my computer in disbelief.

ps - Here Lies Love looks like it's in the process of actually happening. You can try to follow the progression of it here.

David actually performed some of the songs from the musical a little over a year ago as part of his Perspectives series at Carnegie Hall. I went to see it and it was really great. I never wrote a proper review, but here was my impression of it:

Saturday night was amazing. You could tell how much work everyone involved had put into it. The performance was flawless. The two female vocalists were very good. The percussion and band were dead on. From the beginning you could tell it was going to be good. David was dancing and playing the guitar. Everyone was moving and it was all very upbeat. David prefaced pretty much every song with a little bit of background information...in a very "entertaining, without trying to be" David Byrne-esque way. At the end of the night I was very moved by the whole experience. It was extremely entertaining and well performed. It also had a great narrative quality. Despite it being a "song cycle" and not a full musical or "disco opera", you really came out it with a picture of Imelda Marcos and some of her life. It's probably one of the best shows I've been to.

I really hope it gets made into a proper musical. I think it will be amazing. Disco opera!!!

Back to the Brighton Port Authority project:

There are also some other collaborations: "He's Frank" featuring Iggy Pop and "Should I Stay or Should I Blow" featuring Ashley Beadle

Also, I am kind of freaked out that there will be no more "Fatboy Slim". I've seen him deejay twice. He plays such happy, fun, sets and really gets into it. I hope he keeps doing them even though he's no longer Fatboy Slim. Also, someone please book him to deejay here again already. It's been almost 4 years.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP